Continuously improving our strategies and processes to enhance sustainability of our own business and our customers'
At SECURE, we recognize that our long-term success goes beyond the financial metrics of our business and we focus on connecting our strong employee culture with our corporate strategies to drive improved ESG performance. In 2021, to formalize our commitment to ESG, short and long-term goals were created to achieve meaningful change on the path to a low emission future. Highlights of our 2021 Sustainability Report are below:
2021 Sustainability Report Highlights
- Reiterate our goal of achieving Net-Zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050
- Short-term target of reducing GHG emissions intensity by 15% by the end of 2024
- Evaluating opportunities to participate in carbon capture and sequestration
- Targeting 5% reduction in freshwater water usage in 2022
- Lowered GHG energy intensity across our business lines by approximately 9% compared to 2020 despite increased activity;
- Reduced Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 12% and 4%, respectively;
- Our recovery processes and pipelines resulted in the avoidance of 128,240 tonnes of CO2e, enough to offset all our Scope 1 emissions;
- Continued our Indigenous Relations partnerships, worked with 89 Indigenous suppliers and invested $10.5 million with Indigenous businesses;
- Installed temporary caps at certain landfill cells to reduce leachate generated and its associated environmental impact;
- Maintained the number of women on the Board of Directors at 25%; achieving our set target in 2021
- Appointed an independent director as Chairman of the Board; and
- Appointed Rhonda Rudnitski as Vice President, Environment, Social and Governance, a newly established senior leadership position that affirms the Corporation's commitment to sustainability.
Minimizing environmental impacts of our own operations and our customers’
SECURE conducts business in a way that is focused on providing solutions that mitigate the environmental impacts of our operational activities and those of our customers while meeting or exceeding regulations. While our greatest impact is in the work we do for our customers, we have also undertaken measures to deliver these solutions with minimal environmental effects from our own operations.Climate Change Action
To fulfill our climate change commitment, SECURE is formalizing a Climate Action Plan to direct our efforts on energy efficiency and emissions reduction.
SECURE commits to addressing climate considerations in our overall business strategy, corporate development, risk management and business models. Reducing GHG emission intensity by 15% by the end of 2024 means action starts today as we strive for net-zero by 2050. SECURE is considering multiple options to improve energy efficiency and reduce our carbon footprint as we take action towards achieving our reduction targets and assisting our customers with meeting theirs. SECURE is pursuing process efficiencies, investment in technology, formalizing fleet management systems, the use of GHG offsets, increased GHG monitoring and more robust emission tracking on our path to achieving net-zero. Learn more about our Climate Strategy.
Roadmap to achieving Net-Zero GHG emissions by 2050